View Single Post
Old 30th December 2018, 09:46 PM   #42
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by motan
Hello again,
Yes Kubur. I agree with you. It is very possible that production started earlier, I just don't have proof. It is rare to see Majdali type daggers in a book. Can you produce a larger picture? Dates on old Majdalis is quite common, but consistently start at around 1900. See first picture - clearly 1318 Hijri - 1900 Gregorian.

Stuart, yours is indeed a unique example, probably made on special order. Very high quality work and an a-typical but very good scabbard in Ottoman style. Straight blades are known, but rare. I know you don't have it anymore, but do you happen to have a good picture of the back of the hilt? It is signed by the maker and I think I know who he is - Iskander. This workshop made top-notch pieces in the round handle/fullered blade style. I recognize the decorative element in the middle of the hilt. I have seen several signed examples - see pictures
Hi Motan,

Here is the beast, despite many 19th c. features i think this jambiya majdali is from the 20th c. (1900-1914) maybe from your iskander... same fabric on the scabbard...
with nice Ottoman emboidery, amazing blade,and amazing enameled hilt with pictures of al aqsa and the dome of the rock... Is it possible that your Iskander was from Jerusalem?

Enjoy
Kubur
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote