View Single Post
Old 9th May 2013, 01:54 AM   #7
christek

Hello William,

Thank you for the information, fantastic observation, this is very interesting! Regarding the unit markings/inspection marks, or rather the lack of, I agree that the most logical reasoning behind this lays with this being a private purchase. I always thought these were regulation officers sabres, so I wonder what advantage lies behind a private purchase, as an officer would be issued an identical sabre anyway?

Thank you for deciphering the makers mark, very interesting! I actually speak French quite well (my father is French) and it made great sense once pointed out. Indeed it would appear to be a rare mark, as I can not easily find others to research/compare. I thought I would mention, that FILS in French is actually translated to SON, so it would appear (and make sense) that Samuel Hoppe's son was the next manufacturer to take over the business. I wonder if the fact that this is a rare marking, means that the son either went into another business or decided to just stick with marking in his fathers name.

Thanks again for your help!

Kind regards,
Chris
christek is offline   Reply With Quote