View Single Post
Old 7th August 2014, 12:55 AM   #5
Shakethetrees

Welcome to the forum! I am a bit of a newbie myself, after quietly lurking and having a peek for a while I realized this group has a lot of depth and breadth in the world of European and Ethnographic weaponry. I finally realized that I could contribute a little of my experience to the big picture.

I am a master silversmith who has collected and restored this stuff for longer than I can remember!

Now, as I look at your mace, I also see the parting line (or mold mark, as Fernando put it), in photo number two. If you follow along the line you will see a knop midway up the shaft that bears the resemblance to twisted wire. It originally was done by careful chisel work. But right in line with the parting line, the individual channels on the knop become undefined, like something filled them up. When the piece was cast, a fine flashing, or a fin of metal was left to finish off, a common occurrence in casting. The contour was defined by finishing with a file or other abrasive tools, and left as it is. Were it of the original period, the spiral detail would have been chiseled on to the surface.

Don't misunderstand me. It's a great quality casting, probably done during the mid nineteenth century, when a mania for filling up manor houses was in fashion. Today it would be too expensive to make, especially for the sum that you mention.

It's a great looking piece that was made to give a certain "look" to its location, not unlike what's going on in the furniture and decorative arts field today. There are not enough genuine, of the period antique (armor, tables, brasses, etc.) pieces to fill the demand.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote