View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Jake

Gentlemen!
You were kind enough to admit me to this august body a while back.To my regret,between my computer skills(just now rediscovered my password...),and the life's general busyness,have not had a chance to participate more actively in the forum.Also,possibly my only contribution may be my fluency in Russian,as i'm neither a scholar,or collector,nor am i historian.But,i have glanced at the discussion at times,and,possibly,(look at the bright side!) due to the missing password,was prevented from some foolish and uninformed comment.
However:Jeff!I wish you'd ask for any and all help with the translation from the Russian-i'm tickled when you do...All that you've surmised so far is correct,as far as i can tell from the plaques.Minus the list of materials/techniques used,as are commonly included in the description of objects newly made and antique both.The date is the find date,as is also all the place name data,as is also usual.

Matchlock,what specifically interests you about this particular artifact?I MAY be able to find out some specifics on this,the russian weapons world being as small as the euro-american(regretfully,how little connection betwixt the two,though).Frankly,here's what was always the deal with the Russian style of preservation:The display at the given museum is for the yokel,it simply is not worth it to "cast the pearls..."et c.,before the idly curious.The real collection is the repository,that is where the serious research is conducted.
Some objects,for whatever reason,are actually off-limits,but many are accessible to those with a degree of validity of interest(regardless to nationality).It is entirely possible that a dialog can be established with the "GIM"-The State Historical Museum,among others.As in with the research dept."behind the scenes".I may be naively optimistic here,not sure.
But would be very pleased to be of help,if possible,in an attempt to obtain some particular information,upon the strenght of my own "good name"(ha!).
Sincerely,Jake.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote