View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2016, 07:51 PM   #12
Tordenskiold1721

Just a small correction Jasper. FMU stands for Forsvars Museet that is located at Akershus Fortress in Oslo. This are Norwegian Tessak's imported from Amsterdam and Hamburg between 1598 - approx 1611

Aalborg is in Denmark and I don't think they have a arms and Armour museum. Just so that we stay true to history. It always helps in keeping us honest in understanding this beautiful Pisces

Why do you think this swords has anything to do with Aalborg ? In fact this is the area of the former Denmark Norway where we have not found any Dussack's. Are you simply making things up ?

We can all visit the Norwegian National museum website and search for Tessak and a number of Dussack's will show up:

https://digitaltmuseum.no/search/?aq...3A%22tessak%22

Where you get Aalborg involved in this I simply do not know. When that is said I do have some very good collector friends in Aalborg.

Do you understand the typology you are referring too ? And what literature reference the web site from the Norwegian national museum is using?

This typology is limited to the commonly Tessak's found in Norway and does not cover all Types found in Europe. Also found here:

http://norskevaapen.no/wp-content/up...saktgrep21.jpg

The typology was made in a study by Per Terje Norheim and this is the main types found in Norway, imported from Hamburg and likely Amsterdam. Delivered in Bergen and Christiania(Now Oslo). Just like Petersen's typology from 1919 is based on Viking swords found in Norway only and later expended by Oakeshott typology that includes Viking swords and later swords from the whole of Europe, I am sure someone will switch on to Per Terje Norheims work and make a lot of money from expanding his typology. History has a tendency to repeat itself. This might be the type of work that would be right up your ally? = Someones else intellectual property translated and expanded in the English language.

"It's in attention to detail truth will prevail"

Last edited by Tordenskiold1721; 23rd November 2016 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Tordenskiold1721 is offline   Reply With Quote