View Single Post
Old 20th July 2019, 10:18 PM   #27
Philip

Default primary safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Fernando

OK. Yes I now understand. I did not know this. Thanks. Is the safety on the lock in the photo the only safety ? Or does it act as a secondary device ?

Rick
Hey Rick, thanks much for your explanation of dog catch history and introducing the sliding safety concept to add context to our discussion.

Here are the three different detached locks that I got last year in that German auction, A is the "three screw" hybrid, B is the so-called "half Portuguese, half French" style, and C is the "knot lock". Note that all three use the interior workings of the French flintlock. But only B has a tumbler with half- and full cock detents -- thoroughly French mechanicals albeit with Portuguese stylistic flourishes on the cock and frizzen spring design. A and C have one-notch tumblers, with the external brake serving as the only safety.

Given the Portuguese love of combining mechanical and stylistic features, I wouldn't be surprised if Nando or another forumite has a gun with one of the above lock types combining both a brake and a half-cock notch. A custom job for a sportsman who wanted a doubly safe lock on his gun. What I show here appear to be production items, likely made in Liège for export to Portugal's colonies.
Attached Images

Philip is offline   Reply With Quote