View Single Post
Old 6th March 2011, 09:43 PM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default Den Pasar Museum

In December last year I went to Indonesia for a couple of months. I normally go into Indonesia via Bali , stay there a few days, then go up to Solo.

While I was in Bali I took the opportunity to make as complete a photographic record of the Den Pasar Museum as I was able. I did this because last year I had been told that the Indonesian Government has intentions of making a major grant to the Bali Government for the purpose of renovation or rebuilding of the Den Pasar Museum.

The Den Pasar Museum is its own exhibit. I think it was finished in 1939, and it was designed to show the various building styles of the regions of Bali. The museum is set in a series of courtyards that you enter and exit by way of steps through a gateway, so each display pavilion is a separate regional building in its own courtyard.It is worth a visit just to look at the buildings and courtyards.

Anyway, when I heard about this grant I immediately became fearful that this wonderful and unique museum would be replaced by a modern monstrosity of stainless steel and glass. So I decided to get as many pics of it as I could during my next visit.

So what has this got to do with keris?

Use this link, and on page 2 you will find pictures of every weapon that is on display in the Museum.

http://kerisattosanaji.com/Denpasarmuseum.html

Regrettably not a lot of weapons, even less keris, and not particularly wonderful photographs, but better than nothing, especially if there is no immediate prospect of a visit to Bali.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote