View Single Post
Old 19th August 2015, 05:17 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ian, thank you so much for your well reasoned and perfectly explained observations on the distinctive and ever curious features of these swords. What you note on the inlay and the later decorative aspects are absolutely spot on, and I honestly had not thought of those factors yet!
It is great to have the perspective of one who has the nuanced knowledge of these fascinating weapons and the cultures who used them.

I very much like the point that you make on the often colorful embellishments and romanticized lore which are so typically engrained in so many weapons forms. While as collectors we are of course drawn to these kinds of tales which so deeply color the very weapons that fascinate and intrigue us, it is rewarding to establish truth and preserve it along with the tales in many cases. These are the historical and cultural details which we work toward.

Maurice brings up another well made point toward the 'tally' tales, there was powerful belief and tradition with regard to the taking of heads, which of course would be of more metaphysical perspective (in our sense). The forces and imbuement in accord with these acts would indeed render these very weapons extremely powerful, and physical 'recording' of such would seem very much unnecessary.

As far as I have known, in most cultures, the death of an enemy or opponent is not cause for celebration, in fact such victories often bring most feared results if not properly attended. It seems among some African tribes a weapon which has killed is often ceremonially 'quarantined' for a short time. While I cannot recall these details offhand, the notion that killing is a cause for celebration is far removed from reality in most cases.

Even in the 'west' here in the U.S. the taking of scalps was not an inherent American Indian practice but was brought about by colonial settlers offering a 'bounty' for scalps as proof of victorious 'elimination' of enemy. Such gruesome 'scorekeeping' is very much the product of more modern warfare.

Returning to 'notches' I agree that these must have been applied as the blade was produced, and perhaps might have been makers markings or possibly tribal associations etc. . Once again with reference to the 'west', the notion of gunfighters notching their guns, this was purely fabricated and as far as I have known, not a single gunfighter among the 'legends' ever notched their guns, nor would they so deface their trusted weapons.

Ian and Maurice thank you so much for adding all this information and perspective on these here! It does seem the information on these is somewhat sparse, and it is good to have reliable data from those who have truly studied these in depth.

Maurice, great notes on classifying region and tribal origins! Can you say more on the features or characteristics that so specify? Are there any published resources which might have this kind of data catalogued or addressed in detail?

Thanks again!!! and thank you Green for posting this and Roland for your also interesting input.....it would seem you know a bit more about these than you say as your identification was right in line with Maurice's

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 19th August 2015 at 05:31 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote