Thread: Bedouin Sabre
View Single Post
Old 25th August 2017, 04:19 PM   #21
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Perfectly well spotted Ibrahiim!
This is the kind of thread and perpetuation of discussion which is constructive in advancing our knowledge on a certain form or topic, and this example is classic in these Bedouin/Palestinian type sabres.

As Ibrahiim has well noted, this is clearly a blade marked with imitation inscription of much favored Hungarian type blades, in this case what have become known as 'the Transylvanian knot', a talismanic device in numerous forms. Ariel discovered these references to their character in an obscure reference on Hungarian swords some years ago (perhaps he could elaborate more as this was an astounding find).

As I recall, the '4' was indeed a talismanically oriented symbol used in a number of contexts, and the birds (I believe pigeons) were also symbolically dynamic with the 'Vivat Pandour' motto often included.

Here the AEGYPT word does, as Kubur astutely notes, does suggest association with the Sinai, and it is tempting of course to suggest the Greek structure in the spelling (though I do not wish to incur the linguistic barrage that presently looms large nearby).

These are intriguing swords with an often rustic charm about them, and though hard to define regionally by the very diffused nature of these fascinating tribal people who used them, they are always exciting to see.

Thank You Jim, An excellent and well thought through reply like that inspires members to write and to research. This is a great subject. I noted the thread of a while ago and went back for it at~ http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...SYLVANIAN+KNOT

The Hungarian connection to the mystical bird is very interesting. I saw this on a number of Hungarian sword blades looking like a sort of pigeon on other decorative backgrounds . In fact there is a very famous bird in Hungarian mythology viz;

Turul (animal) The great bird resembling to a falcon that was sent forth by Isten to guide the creation and destiny of the Magyar people. The first kings after St Stephen I. were the hereditiary of Turul ("Turul nemzetség")
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote