Thread: Italian Storta
View Single Post
Old 31st January 2023, 04:04 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for adding the additional marking note, which is celestial in nature, a moon and star. These kinds of marking were well known on very early Italian swords, and I believe I recall one on the hilt of an Italian sword of this period.

The use of celestial markings on blades by makers or sometimes perhaps as a form of imbuement goes back well into antiquity, and of course there are distinct associations with astrology. While astrology was indeed popularized in Eastern context, it is not necessarily isolated to their use.

Because of the use of the moon and star(s) by the Ottomans, it is often assumed that these symbols indicate that context is specific to them.
Actually these celestial symbols were well known throughout Europe independent of that influence. For example, the Szekely of early Hungarian ancestry were known to have used the celestial theme in their symbology.

I do not have "Armi Bianchi Italiene" (1975) handy at the moment, but I feel certain similar markings are among the detail on Italian markings.
The moon and stars symbols, became well known in Germany as they adopted many markings and inscriptions etc. for their blades and sometimes makers markings.
This does not apply to this storta as it is clearly Italian, and again, IMO a superb example.

Interestingly, the attribution of moon and star markings as 'Turkish' is an often occurring trope in the west is seen in an article in "Man at Arms" magazine (" Revolutionary War Swords with Crescent and Star Blades"). A number of swords with markings comprised of these symbols are described as 'Turkish', when in fact these are actually German blades, and variations of these celestial elements.
In Kinman (2015, p.133) this exact marking is seen deeply punched on blades of two German broadswords c. 1530, so the early Italian source for the German markings is suggested.

* Mark, just saw your post as I entered this, very well noted! It is worthy of note that Italian observance of celestial phenomenon gave us the Tarot cards with their notable use of these kinds of depictions.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote