Thread: Italian Storta
View Single Post
Old 31st January 2023, 02:04 PM   #10
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Italian arms makers and armourers were known for their innovation and styling, and highly influenced arms not only throughout Europe, but in many cultural spheres through trade. It is interesting to see the guard system on this which corresponds to Arab sabres (known as 'nimchas') as well as vestigially in the Sinhalese kastane.
Also note the pommel which remarkably resembles those on schiavona with the central boss.

This is an amazing example of the storta, and as noted, it was meant for heavy blows in close quarters,. the marking on the blade too is remarkable. I have always understood that GENOA was often on blades regardless of what city or center had produced it as this was the port where they departed into trade networks.

Excellent example Victrix! and really exciting to see.
Thank you for your kind words, Jim.

Interesting to read about the influence of Italian arms in the Middle East and Ceylon. It seems the influence went both ways. I attach a couple more photos of the top end of the blade near the hilt which is decorated on both sides with lines and [full] moons with stars. There’s also what appears to be a shooting star or perhaps it’s a star with a new moon. This looks oriental to my eyes and Venetians did a lot of trade with the Ottomans and so probably got some cultural influences from there in the process. I think the Ottomans and Persians were also big believers in Astrology. The blade is sharp.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote