Thread: Horn, or hoof?
View Single Post
Old 10th April 2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
I haven't either! But according to some sources 3% of jambiya in Sanna at times have been camel hoof.

But I did not say bone I said hoof! Perhaps if I said camel nail you would understand? The hoof is the keratin structure covering the end of it foot!

I recommend reading the old back issues of Pachyderm magazine if you want a broader knowledge of the use of rhino horn & other materials including camel hoof/nail for Jambiya in the Yemen.

linky...

But for starters.

This pdf. is interesting, Points out the use of camel hoof/nail. Published by Traffic.

linky to pdf.

I agree totally Richard, its around, Its similar to Rhino horn but not identical. Ive never mentioned it on the forums as I figure it will lead to more fakery & possibly worse lives for some unfortunate horses or camels.

Spiral

Salaams Spiral... Sorry did I say bone? Oh ya...I meant hoof...By the way I hold the world record for falling off camels! I used to own 8 of them... great animals!! ...I can't believe anyone would want to cut their feet off as hilts...It is said that a Sheikh in the Bedouin...when he dies is wrapped in the skin of his favourite camel...ah well...

I have read your informative post a while ago on Rhino ( Pachyderm mag...) most interesting.

Your other article above is fascinating and I'm about finished that...what an eye opener! It remarks on the Giraffe word (Z'raff) which I am pretty sure is the same in Yemen as it is here... and means Rhino. It also mentions the orange coloured plastic hilts...What it doesn't seem to go into is the carbon hilts which these days are excellent quality and sometimes called Amerikky..(imports from USA) They take all the silver pins without splitting and are the right weight and colour.

The article goes on to describe stone (agate etc) which we also have but they are useless because they are way too heavy and when they hit the floor they shatter! and probably worse... they are non traditional.

So apologies for mentioning bone instead of hoof..but anyway..so we are talking about horn or hoof though I think it expands to encompass all the variables..making the thread somewhat deeper and I think jolly interesting

I just wish people here would accept Siberian Mamoths Tusk.

Richard G. ~ I have to say I have never seen a camel hoof hilt on any dagger Yemeni or Omani... It could be that they simply look bovine and get lumped into that category of cheap hilt... I have a couple of cheap Jambias on my desk and I am looking at those but they look like bull or cow. Your white bone hilt could be camel or something marine ...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 10th April 2014 at 06:45 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote