View Single Post
Old 9th March 2011, 04:29 AM   #17
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
Okay, Alam Shah, Blu Erf and Dave Henkel are probably to busy. Just for refreshing this thread.

Regarding the staining of Peninsular blades: there is an article of I.H. Evans, "Notes on the manufacture of damascened spear and knife blades in Malay states", an eyewitness report from 1913, about forging, tempering and etching blades in a village in Perak.

It seams to be self-evident, blades with elaborated pamor, which are occuring in Peninsula, would be stained. The question seems to be, have also the polished blades made from more homogenous material been stained?

The unique Tajong blade from Museum für Völkerkunde Basel, there from about 1920, still has a black-blue staining, which appears to be original.

About shape of blade: Panjang and Panjang-related blades with central ridge don't have a thinner "waist", it is more or less suggested with help of slightly narrowing fullers in this place. On blade in question the narrowing of fullers is pretty distinct.

There are Panjang blades without this "C" indentation (which to me seems something like overinterpreted Tikel Alis), just a plain Gandhik. The blade in question even HAS a notch at this place.

When we call Rick's blade an Anak Alang, what is the real problem with this one? When, even more, it seems to be coming in an original Saribulan Sarung, which is very appropriate for this kind of blades?

Another blade of similar size with a middle ridge (and etched) from Forum Archives:
Gustav, given that i already conceded that i was mistaken and that i had seen anak alang blades with a center ridge (Rick's being one) i am uncertain as to why you have quoted the above passage of mine to comment on and debate. I am not in debate here or drawing any conclusions. I have merely called the subject into question. I would still like to see a list of features that distinguish a blade as anak alang, just as a general rule. I have nothing to prove in this argument, i am just seeking information and qualifications.
In regards to staining these blades (Peninsula) i never stated that it wasn't done, simply that it is a matter of debate. I don't believe that anything in this debate is "self-evident" and it seems that the great majority of Peninsula blade do not in fact have elaborate pamors. To me the debate still seems open, though i must say that if i had such a keris with an elaborate pamor it would be my personal inclination to stain it. However this says nothing of traditional practices. I personally take no sides in this debate.
David is offline   Reply With Quote