View Single Post
Old 6th March 2011, 09:39 PM   #14
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
The problem is, if we are moving outside from Javanese Keraton classification system, there are no such strong criteria for Dhapur. Panjang and similar blades of different size are most probably originated outside of Java, so there are no stronger rules used. I am not convinced, we can call anak-alang a dhapur at all.

This is a much to much for me and probably also for this thread, yet there are in general Panjang's and related blades with and without central ridge. Why, when and where - please ask more experienced members.
I use the term "dhapur" for want of a better word. These blades (panjang, anak alang) do not originate in Jawa at all AFAIK so Javanese terminology is, of course, not quite correct. Perhaps "classification" would be a better term. Though obviously we do have names for various type of blades that exist outside of Jawa. The rules might be looser, but certainly there must be some criteria, otherwise why do we call it one thing or another? My collecting experience is much more centered on Jawa/Bali/Madura, though i do have quite a few blades from Peninsula/Sumatra/Sulawesi. Yet admittedly i understand these less. So yes please, would someone who has more experience with these blades please describe the criteria more specifically?
David is offline   Reply With Quote