View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2015, 05:37 PM   #54
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Chris, I also heartily agree with your note on some swords we have had for so long we think their tales are finished, Like you say, those old swords from more years ago I collected were indeed my friends, and very much my guides into exciting forays into history!!
Now, many years later, and with a 'bit' more knowledge, it is amazing how much more they have to share with me.
We NEVER know it all, the cases are never closed, and the search remains never ending. It is the pure joy and adventure of collecting and studying arms.

All best,
Jim

Thank you for the clarification on the importation of German blades into India Jim. It seems NOTHING should be taken for granted with arms and armour!

As you say, it is always refreshing when an old piece in your collection can yield new information, even when you think all the threads have been unravelled...

I know researchers who do occasionally make grandiose statements about new discoveries, only to find, when digging a little deeper, that such proclamations are not all they are cracked up to be.

The field of study doesn't matter, I am sure such things happen across the spectrum when undertaking research. We must stick to the facts, and judge each case on its own merits. As you say, there is always more information to be gleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
I didn't realise Mole was contracted to Wilkinson for some swords.
Wilkinson and Mole had a long history of cooperation, Mole running a very close second to Wilkinson until Wilkinson finally bought them out in 1920.
mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote