View Single Post
Old 26th June 2022, 11:35 AM   #8
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline View Post
Black S African Police were issued with spears during the 20th C , I dont know , but wonder , if indeed the issue ones were actually supplied under contract from British firms ?
Euopean made police 'Assegai' were indeed issued to native police in lieu of firearms. They were however much more substatial, with socketed heads. The Zulu spears with long shanks protruding past the bindings were invariably throwing spears, not Iklwa. They also tended to have longer hafts for throwing.

"This is a South African Police Service Assegai.

The spear is 44 inches long. (112.5 cm)

The blade is 14 inches by 2 inches (36 cm x 4.5 cm) Shaft is 5 inches long. (13 cm) Although it appears the shaft is a ferrule or socket I don't think it is. The binding is knurled steel and has two cross pins that appear to hold the blade tang in the haft.

The haft is a wood turning with a flared butt. The butt cap is steel and attached with a single screw.

All metal parts are marked with either a U or a Broad arrow U indicating Union of South African Defence.

This spear is about the size of a Zulu iKlwa or amaPhondo iKhebezane but it is substantially heavier. Given the heavier haft and unlike the iKlwa and iKhebezane this spear is very balanced and probably could be thrown. Also as heavy as it is the spear butt end could be used as a night stick.
There were officers who still carried these on duty in the 1970s."

There is also a longer version. I've heard they also can be found with an auxilliary 2nd haft piece that can be screwed in to make the longer military version. I also note that the butt of the spear haft had an angled notch for the thumb so they could index the heads easily on parade to align the edges together.

See also http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8054
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 26th June 2022 at 12:03 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote