View Single Post
Old 27th January 2018, 10:05 PM   #43
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Alan,

I fear you are starting to get circular answers.

Let me move sideways a little and comment further on the original examples that I posted. I agree with those who say the three on the right lack some refinements, especially in relation to their blades and sheaths. But the hilts are a bit more interesting and, I think, well made (even allowing for the screw nut on the end). The late 19th/early 20th C--the late Victorian/Edwardian era in Britain--coincided with the Art Nouveau period in fine art and the decorative arts, a period where there was considerable experimentation with different materials in art and architecture.

The hilts of the knives I showed have geometric mosaic designs of mother of pearl interspersed with jet (I am quite certain the black material is jet). Jet was a semi-precious gem during the Victorian era and Queen Victoria had several items of jewelry, including beads, made of jet to match her black mourning attire following the death of her husband Albert.

MOP and jet were not commonly seen in Indian art, let alone on knives, up to that time. Perhaps the appearance of these materials on Indian knives intended for British/European consumption had something to do with the Art Nouveau influence. The fitting of MOP and jet on the handles of these knives shows some skill IMHO, and the slim handles and flowing lines of the curved blade also seem to fit the artistic period.

To follow a little of Alan's theme, just because a knife is designed for a foreign market and made in large quantities does not mean it is without merit. I like these knives for the story they tell about the period they were made. I also like them because they have a touch of European refinement in an Asian setting, Anglo-Indian as I mentioned at the top of this thread--a cross-cultural item that benefits from both its heritages.

To bring this back to Alan's question of what is valued in a knife, I would add the expression of the culture(s) from which it comes and the period it was made. For me, this transcends the materials used and the quality of the workmanship, although both of those undoubtedly contribute to the overall quality of the piece.

I'm abstaining from ranking dissimilar items as better or worse.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 27th January 2018 at 10:16 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote