View Single Post
Old 4th October 2021, 02:46 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc View Post
As I was intrigued by this discussion I did a short internet research concerning ivory imitations and it turns out there are resins that imitate ivory quite well, including the Schreger lines.

Here is more information from the GIA website, for reference:

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/fa...-with-a-pseudo

PS: However, upon more careful examination of the photos from the GIA website one can notice that the cris-cross pattern of the resin samples is less regular and without the optical interference effect of the genuine Schreger lines. Also, it is quite apparent that the difference in coloration is also visible sideways, along the length of samples (see for example the tusk-shaped sample).

So, I still am pretty sure the hilt in question is made of genuine ivory. Polishing out the black spots (or polishing the interior of the hole) may reveal the characteristic "dentist" smell resulted from burning the ivory.
I completely agree Marius. The imitation stuff looks interesting, but one can easily see the difference between the affect created there and actual Schreger lines. I am 9.99% sure that Nik's example is the real thing. Must always leave some room for doubt without having the hilt in hand.
David is offline   Reply With Quote