View Single Post
Old 10th May 2017, 03:37 PM   #12
kai

Hello Gustav,

I also believe this is a variant (with slightly more curved tip) of the blade published by Paravicini (1923; reproduced in AvZ, Fig. 295) which also belongs to the pengentas family of blades from Bali. IMVHO it is likely to also have been utilized in the funeral rites.

Quote:
As I wrote, such overall shape of handle is found in many places in SEAsia. Important - it's faceted, and such feature is more likely distinctive for Sulawesi and West Java.
Faceted hilts are really rare (except for the quite different Sundanese gobang hilts). I'd love to see a close contender from anywhere in the archipelago!

Quote:
Yet I don't think it's the appropriate handle for this blade.
Dominique, are there any signs that this blade has been rehilted?

We know that there is a variety of hilts (and blades) associated with the tiuk/blakas pengentas family of blades. Since this blade lends itself to hacking and possibly also pulling action, I reckon that a hilt which avoids slipping may help. Thus, it might be the function leading to an unusual hilt: Barring any new evidence to the contrary, I'd be inclined to believe that this hilt originated from Bali (or Lombok), too.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote