View Single Post
Old 5th May 2018, 05:03 PM   #3
rickystl

Hi Cerjak

What an interesting blunderbuss. Can you advise the overall length ? And the length from the trigger to the end of the butt stock (LOP) ? I'm assuming for the moment that it is of knee pistol size, but not sure from the photos. Thanks.

While I don't reconize the symbol on the butt stock, it was not unusual for the gun to have added decoration later on in it's active life. And that appears to be the case here.
The carvings on the wrist of the stock do indeed look similar to Flyssa scabbards. And the interesting leather hand/palm protector added. As Kubur mentioned, you usually only see these on Caucassion guns.
I believe there are two other pieces of evidence for Algerian origin: 1. The barrel bands, especially the rear two, are cut/shaped very similar to the ones you see on Algerian long guns. 2. The lock. The most common lock you see on Algerian long guns is the very large miquelet lock most of us are familiar with. The second most common is the flintlock styled exactly like the flat-faced lock on this blunderbuss.

With the evidence so far, this gun looks very much of Algerian origin. And a neat find. Overall, the gun appears to have seen regular usage. Not abused. Just continued use during it's life time. Nice find Cerjak. Let me know about those measurements. Thanks for posting.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote