View Single Post
Old 9th March 2010, 03:52 PM   #17
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
Also, there was a little brass strip alongside the grip that formed an "L" shape and terminated in a point along the short side of the ganja. It's a very thin, flimsy thing. I re-attached it before Charles did the cord wrap, and I could find no evidence that an asang-asang was ever mounted to it. If one of these stirrups were at one time attached there, one would expect the remnant of solder, a "shadow" or ghost in the patination of the metal, something like that. But nada. As Charles said, there was no evidence of metal ferrule or pommel band on the grip, and since this is such an early piece whose hilting may well be the original style, it was decided to restore it conservatively and not add anything.

Likewise, Mike and I agreed that the scabbard should strongly reflect the Malay traditions so evident in the blade, so the replacement sheath was designed accordingly.
If you look at the last picture I posted it shows the brass strip Philip is talking about. It did not look broken, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is for. Any ideas?
mross is offline   Reply With Quote