View Single Post
Old 17th April 2014, 08:03 PM   #32
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In retracing material on Fernando's sword and this exciting newly added example, I agree that the compelling similarity in style and execution of decorative motif suggests these were likely from the same workshop or location. The information suggesting the associations to the Haitian Rebellion 1791-1804 truly brings remarkable plausibility to the unique nature of these swords which seem clearly outside the typical Spanish colonial versions of the well known Spanish cuphilt.

As indicated in my research from 2011, this curious rayskin like grip material appears it may follow the Galluchat method of imitation rayskin. This being of course a French oriented process, apparently popularized in the latter 18th century, it seems likely that artisans familiar with this may well have been present in these French colonial regions.

These two examples, while crudely executed ,display the unique charm of these colonial weapons which reflect fascinating historical perspective. It seems that these are essentially 'blacksmith' grade work, but again reflecting considerable skill, and attention to details imitating the motif and forms of the period.
In your example Dana, the crudely fashioned (thus very heavy) bowl is embellished on the outside with interestingly applied fretwork, which seems intended to approximate the beautifully pierced bowls of Brescian cuphilts used by Spanish nobility of the 17th into 18th century. The scallop shell is of course well known in Spanish motif and here in rococo setting as with the smallswords of French 18th century.

It would seem that these rather ersatz appearing, roughly fabricated swords were quite likely fashioned for individuals involved in these events unfolding in Haitian regions around 1791 and probably meant for officers or those in leadership roles. While the direct association to Georges Biassou is of course interesting, though tenuous, it does seem that these two cuphilts might have been fashioned for individuals of standing in these events.

As to provenance, it does seem quite probable that the St. Augustine attribution would be likely, and Florida itself provided an outstanding source for many years for these kinds of amazingly historical arms. I well remember the Hoffman's and Norm Flayderman from the 1960s and 70s who were the primary purveyors of the times, and their catalogs still stand as key references and sources for wistful memories of those times !

I would consider that these two examples were probably fashioned by artisan (s) in Haitian regions who were probably slaves, or associated, and had acquired skills exposed to French tutelage. These swords were probably fashioned in accord with Spanish colonial influences, and around 1790-91 as discussed. It may even be considered that the interesting devices attached to the grips might be associated with the talismans and symbols associated with Vodun or West African folk religion.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote