Thread: Face protection
View Single Post
Old 20th September 2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a most interesting question! and I cannot think of facial protection being a very common feature used by native warriors in Africa. The one instance I can think of would probably be related to the Benin warriors as noted, and the crocodile hide helmets often had a forehead guard, possibly metal (Spring, "African Arms & Armour" p.50). The raised neck cowl noted from Benin also is an interesting element.

Spring also notes on p.50, "...it is also not easy to determine the material from which armour was likely to have been made, and whether it was intended to provide the wearer with physical protection at all".

This seems to suggest that much defensive protection for warriors was likely reliant on supernatural beliefs, and while the shield as noted was a protective device to deflect from physical blows or projectiles, most other adornment perceived as armour or defensive was likely more supernaturally intended. Naturally the exceptions would be in Bornu and the Sudan as well as others, where helmets and mail were worn, but again, other than a nasal on the helmets, I don't recall facial protection.

It is well known that the fearsome and often almost bizarre looking masks of many African tribes were typically ceremonial, and carried important symbolism. In trying to find if any such mask was ever used as protection in warfare, I found this unusual entry:
"...masks were often worn into battle for spirits protected its wearer. If a mask proved to be a failure in combat, a human sacrifice would be made. These sacrifices were made to nurture the life back into the mask and renew it for, hopefully, a successful journey into war the next time".
"The Art of Africa" Elsy Leuzinger, N.Y. Crown,1960,p.28

Obviously, the first question one would ask is, if the mask failed, it would seem pretty ineffective, but I'm sure much deeper explanation would come from further research. It just seemed worthy of note, but again, the protection was not physical, as with armour in the true sense in our understanding.

On the Beja spears, it seems the notch in the edge had more to do with resting a spear if I recall correctly.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote