View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2006, 03:00 AM   #5
Pangeran Datu

Hello,
Just my two-bobs' worth:
The Kujang was a practical utensil, a symbol of one's status/authority and a weapon.
The Kujang is synonymous with the Sunda people of West Java (Parahyangan). It has also become synonymous with the kingdom of Pajajaran ( the unification of the Sunda and Galuh kingdoms, 1482). The Sunda were known as 'the mountain people' whose avatar was the tiger, while Galuh people were known as 'the water people', with the crocodile as their avatar.
The Kujang was actively developed post 1357, when the Sunda ruler severed all ties (including familial) with Majapait, after the incident known as 'The Bubat Massacre'.
The Kujang has it's own 'pakem'/protocol.
I believe that the Kujang was restricted to the ruling class, theologians and certain classes of women. The common folk used other weapons such as, bedog, congkrang etc. Were they to have used Kujangs, they would have been in the simple 'scythe/sickle' form for farming purposes.
The Kujang has the following types, based on the shape of the 'waruga'/body:
- 'arit'/scythe/sickle
- 'ciung'/starling
- 'jago'/cockerel
- 'kuntul'/egret
- 'bangkong'/frog
- 'naga'/serpent
- 'badak'/rhinoceros
All the above also have the necessary/appropriate blade decorations/details.

The ownership of a particular type of Kujang is determined by the duties and functions of the owner.

As for the Kujang Macan:
I believe that it is a recent construct, by people not too steeped in tradition. If such a Kujang had existed in the past, it would more likely have been called Kujang Maung. Even then, the Empus would have risked the wrath of 'Maung Kajajaden'.... hardly likely....

I apologise for any drivel.
Hope it helps.. and encourages other people to expand, clarify, refute....

Cheers.
Pangeran Datu is offline   Reply With Quote