View Single Post
Old 28th January 2014, 07:18 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually Nando that book is huge, and consumes a huge part of the living space here in the bookmobile, so its hard to forget about
Good point (no pun intended) on this ring being pretty unlikely to catch the opponents sword, and it would take the collaboration and cooperation of both parties to accomplish this.....way unlikely!

Nando, you must let this 'aiming' fixation go! I say as your counselor, it is not healthy and only imaginary, just say to yourself, its not real!!

Now I admit my fixation remains that these curious elements in these rings are like many such nuanced features on remarkably similar items produced by makers as sort of marks of individuality. I recall years ago visiting the blacksmith shop in Arkansas where the first Bowie knives were made. I was told that James Black, who is generally held to be the first maker of these famed knives, always 'notched' his blades. There was naturally no actual purpose for this feature, despite many attempts to prove otherwise, but it was distinctly a touch added to declare his authorship according to these versions.
I cannot help believing that in an atmosphere of intrigues and secrecy present with the stilettoes, the Council of Ten, dueling itself and other factors in these times in Italy, that there might be nuanced meaning to such features as well. Naturally, such things by their very nature of secrecy, are lost with those who knew them, so can likely never be proven, but remain fascinating plausibilities.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote