View Single Post
Old 27th January 2014, 09:02 AM   #15
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thank you Nando,

It would seem to me that the earlier versions of these must have had turks heads on the gripwork, while this has ferrules, more consistant with 17th c (and I would defer to Jasper for verification of that assumption).

It would be interesting to see if rings with these curious parallel 'slots' exist on other ring guards of these periods. Perhaps more context might lead toward plausible purposes for them .

All the best,
Jim
Hi Jim and Fernando,

in the middle of the 16th century were, next to Turkish knots, copper soldered rings used to fix the binding of the grip. I believe that this development has started in Italy, you can also find it on late 15thC italian swords of type XVIII.

I do believe the notches inside the ring guard have a job other then decoration , I'm not behind the function yet.
One explanation may be that it prevents sticking your index finger like holding a rapier through the ringguard. as a warning signal in the heat of a fight.

I tried to lock a rapier blade inside a dagger ringguard in the notch however this seems not possible, because the fingers of your left hand are in the way.

maybe someone has a better explanation?

best,
jasper
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 27th January 2014 at 12:03 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote