View Single Post
Old 1st October 2014, 01:01 AM   #11
Gustav

Hello Kai,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai

In most Moro kris these fullers, if present at all, are short - basically a tikel alis and a sraweyan ending just in front of the sogokan; however, instead of just fading out as with most Indonesian keris, they are deeply carved and almost touching each other near the midline resulting in an arrow-like appearance. It seems that there was a tendency to keep this prominent feature even if fullers continue down the blade while a few other examples don't show this arrow.

Kai

These few other examples, including Carlos' kris, is what actually interests me, why I am participating in this thread and why I pose a question about some possible specific smaller region of origin of these pieces, PERHAPS other then classic Sulu archipelago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai

Let's face it: even in Indonesian keris, prominent kruwingan running towards the tip of the blade are rare.

Kai

Yes, it is rare. But it is actually a standard on Malela Type of kerisses from northern Malay peninsula and on many Carita blades from there as well.

That's why I don't understand well your sentence "However, examining the ricikan details shows that we're looking at different esthetics here and a direct Terrengganu influence/origin seems unlikely for Carlos' piece IMVHO.".
At first, I never have said, Carlos' piece would come from Terengganu, actually I did the contrary. About influence (direct or indirect), regarding this feature:

We are speaking about two regions (northern MP and possibly northern Borneo and/or Sulu archipelago), where this feature (a prominent Kruwingan down the blade, WITHOUT the "arrow" like feature) with some regularity occurs on certain blade types. Is it a coincidence, that these both are also the regions, where the variety kris/sundang as such has been produced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai

Of course, the Sulu archipelago is culturally diverse to begin with and I believe it would help our understanding a lot if we were to be able to sort out the ethnic origins/distributions of the apparent kalis styles that we commonly lump as Sulu...

Kai
I absolutely agree.

Regards,
Gustav
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote