Thread: Yari
View Single Post
Old 27th February 2015, 05:44 PM   #12
kronckew

the yari head arrived late this afternoon.

232 grams, 23.5 cm. long over all, 11 cm blade of equilateral triangle cross section. the last 1.5 cm. tapers more abruptly to the sharp point.

there is a 6 cm. x 2mm. fuller on each flat, with a red inlay (lacquer?

the OD of the socket base is 2.5 cm. there is a 3mm. hole in the socket 5.5 cm. from the base in line with one edge and on the centreline of the opposite flat. some black rust, small pitted areas on two flats. some sign of stoning on a short section near the base of one flat. all rust is black, not red.

edges are sharp, but not tomato slicing sharp. the edge is perfectly straight from base to point including the truncated section. (armour piercing?)

no signature marks i can see. it came with a short piece of what looks like a red oak bo stuck in the socket, but not far enough to reach the securing pin hole.

as a surprise, the point and the bo tip came in a nice japanese wooden plain un-lacquered box that looks very old and stained. there is calligraphy on the box lid and one character on the inner surface of the lid with a red chop mark. the ends of the box have semi-circular cradles for the point & short wood section. the wood box joints are all perfect. i initially couldn't see where the box came apart. wyou can't tell where the joins are by feel. made by a darn good box master. heck, the box is probably worth more than i paid for the point. the point is worth a heck of a lot more than i paid, i'm fairly certain.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 27th February 2015 at 05:56 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote