View Single Post
Old 5th August 2016, 08:52 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Glen,
I'm glad you came in on this!!! Ive been going mad trying to find info on American eagle hilts, and discovered I don't have Peterson with me, nor some of the Man at Arms articles. As I have said for many years now...you are the boss when it comes to American swords!!!!

In searching through whatever info I could find on line, I did find that it seems most American eagle head officers swords pre 1820s or 30s were produced in England, France or Germany. One note claimed that examples with langets were typically German produced....is that a reasonable axiom?

For some reason this example seemed British to me, I think due to the cross hatch on the bone grips, which reminded me of other British hilts of this time.
I am curious on the eagles, while this one has a smooth head, the others, such as Ketland, have pronounced flat heads but I cannot think of the term.
It seems this has been rather appointed the 'American' form of eagle, sometimes called 'screaming eagle' ?

Just seemed like a good opportunity to detail some notes on American eagle head swords.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote