View Single Post
Old 15th February 2023, 04:58 PM   #23
M ELEY

Wow! Thank you, Jim, for this thorough information on the Underhill company and the connection with the Borden murder case, one of the most infamous in United States history! I seriously had no idea how far back the initial company existed, nor how long into the early twentieth they survived! My argument still stands that in the earlier and mid-19th, whether it was a blacksmith-wrought or trip hammer-forged spike axe, it would have been highly looked upon by native peoples. The spike tomahawk always existed as a tool/weapon in those earlier times. For those that shun the later 'hardware store' types (usually the pipe axe collectors whose taste and price range are admittedly on a far different level that the simple spikes), I'd remind that even the pipes were later cast models, many made of brass and pewter (not warrior axes by any means, but more ceremonial/hierarchy-based). Thank you again, JIm, for this archive of information, photocopied prints, etc! It really adds to the whole story of the developing axes in North America and their role in history!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote