Thread: Kothimora Kukri
View Single Post
Old 4th February 2022, 12:58 PM   #25
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duccio View Post
Thank you very much, Kronckew, for the thorough technical explanation, it is always a pleasure to learn something new. Too bad my khukuri isn't interesting at all ... I'll use it to peel potatoes.
Cheers to you.

It's still interesting - look at all the correspondence here

I know a Nepali lady that used to carry a khukuri with a 6in. blade, very small for one, in her handbag in Nepal. She was riding a bus where some unruly thugs started harassing people, she pulled out her khuk and displayed it prominently on her lap. They left her alone. She now lives in the USA and sells handmade Khukuris made in Nepal in a smithy she owns.

I have a small (6in. blade) old one that would suit for handbag carry, see below. also have a larger 16 in. beast i call 'Godzilla' that is for other uses as well. it's above in its scabbard along with the half-moon one, it ringed for a bladric. The salyani just above it has the old-style scabbard like yours.

Food:
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DHGlhFJH0g

The guy wielding the khuk is a professional chef, as well as a knife collector.

I also have a few more assorted khukuris in addition to the hanshee kothimora up top.

(all are shaving sharp)

p.s. - what David said about the kaudi/cho notch near the grip on yours is reasonable, they are usually more pronounced. They do have a lot of variety, include closed versions as well ad the more common open ones. I'll stick a picture of a closed one of mine below, plus one of an asortment of shapes found on the internet.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 4th February 2022 at 02:00 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote