View Single Post
Old 8th February 2019, 05:49 PM   #37
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Rand, thank you so much for this input, and you bring interesting perspectives here. Star constellations often provide the basis for certain types of markings on blades, most familiar of course are the Chinese 'seven stars' which allude tp the Ursa Major , most auspicious in their cosmology.
I have seen similar constellation or cosmological markings on some Islamic blades as well, mostly connected dot type orientation.
However I don't think this would be the source for the marking here.

What is compelling though is your mention of the Tipu throne, and looking at images of it clearly shows the parasol notably above it. That in itself brings strong suggestion to the appearance of this elaborate throne, but even with this comparison begs the question.....why is the base (orb) of this device exactly in the configuration of the well known cross & orb of Europe?

I a still wondering if this instance of marking the blade was deliberately contrived to appeal to Tipu's notion of allegorically vanquishing his enemy, the British. While the cross & orb is of course a German mark, it was well known on blades from England, as well as being a key Christian symbol.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote