View Single Post
Old 17th January 2018, 09:24 AM   #8
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
This European style of seated Buddha is found across SE Asia, it is best known from Thailand,+/ - 600CE, Dvaravati culture. Some people call it "pendant leg" position, some people call it "pralambapodosana" (Sanscrit).

I understand that scholars of Buddhist iconography regard this position as representative of the Buddha Sakyamuni or the Buddha Maitreya --- another name was given also, but I forget it, "Vai------" something.

Maybe ten years ago an academic named Rivere who worked in Thailand published a paper on this Euro style position in the Indo Pacific Pre-History Association Journal. I've got a copy somewhere but don't ask me to find it.

An after-thought:- I think I might have read or heard somewhere that this position is actually representative of The Buddha as King, or maybe The King as A Buddha, the seat itself is supposedly a throne and the concept is that The Buddha rules the World.

All this is half remembered stuff that I read a long time ago, but it might provide some pointers for somebody with time to look for accurate info.
Hi Alan

Thank you so much for this information ,I think it will be useful for my research on this Buddha.I already found one buhdda statue in the same position
Best

Cerjak
Attached Images

Last edited by Cerjak; 17th January 2018 at 04:37 PM.
Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote