View Single Post
Old 9th May 2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Tim Simmons

It looks like the piece was cast from a form as it is. The spike has not been cut or broken off after casting. The patina does not bother me. Grave goods are dug up from certain environments in almost mint condition. The size looks correct to examples I have seen and have pictures of. Why it has a truncated spike is bit of a mystery. Perhaps it alters the striking properties? perhaps it is currency or offering? Is it a fake? seems odd to fake a mace head this way. If I were to fake a mace head I would have all the spikes or damage one spike to fake age and usage. I know there is fake pottery, reproduction pottery and new ancient pottery made in Peru for tourists. There could well be reproduction bronze castings. Without real provenance only metal testing will be conclusive as to whether it is genuine. When I visit museums that have Peruvian collections I am amazed at the fineness of art objects. Pottery and textiles in wonderful condition. Can you get real ancient artifacts on ebay? I think it may be possible. I bought a Peruvian {Chimu} pot sold on ebay as African. What you have to keep in mind it that the Spanish conquest would not change all aspects of culture over night. It would take decades to reach every community that had craft activity. Local forms of expression in manufactures would have continued for perhaps centuries. Here is a picture of the pot I cost very little so if it is fake or repro I do not mind, but as I say it would not have to be from the 1500s to be genuine.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 9th May 2015 at 09:41 AM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote