Thread: Unknown origin
View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am entirely in accord with Fernando and Michael, though I must confess to being less than 'qualified' with a meagre four decades of studying arms, and not being particularly well versed in firearms. I am sure that the tone of that comment by Gio was inadvertantly worded, so wanted to 'qualify' the interchange by presuming 'any other suggestions?' was meant.

In the marking, decoration and inscription of arms it is quite common to see transliteration, misspelling and often linguistically impossible examples on them in many cases. Often phrases or words are 'interpreted' for appearance sake and particularly in cases where illiteracy is common, or where those applying the marks are not speakers of the language being applied. We often see such decorative application in the use of thuluth on weapons in the Sudan, and there are cases of incongruent lettering and phrases found on blades in India and other colonial areas. The interpretation of marks and symbols are often applied in native weapons in variation of the originals from European marks which may imply quality or in thier parlance talismanic value.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote