View Single Post
Old 11th April 2017, 09:33 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is great to have input from Philip on this, as it seems in discussions over the years he has placed most valuable insight into this esoteric topic, much of it gained from his research in locations key to much of the history.

As I continued my own research on this, I have found that many of these swords were indeed in use as 'heading swords' in German states and East European, some Slavic countries. Those which indeed served as 'instruments' in this grim purpose were usually quite austere, though often with the latten gibbet and wheel (of justice) inlaid in the blade.
It does seem, from some sources, noted that many of these swords when no longer 'in service' , actually became 'swords of justice' which were held up or paraded in judicial circumstances. It is suggested that this seems to have been the occasion when many of these were given the three hole application near the point.

This much disputed feature seems to elude any pragmatic solution, or even any other explanation, but the release of evil after its use in dispatch of criminals through the three holes (of the Holy Trinity) appears to be most widely held.

Many of these swords were finely embellished and decorated, and were probably intended as swords of justice as a court accoutrement from the beginning.

With these findings as well as with Philip's well observed notes it seems well supported that this is most likely an true heading sword as surmised.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote