View Single Post
Old 7th April 2017, 09:12 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Another interesting example Jean Luc!
These 'executioner' swords have had some pretty fascinating discussions over the past few years here. I think the most intriguing dilemma has been with regard to the three holes in the tips of the blades. It seems the most widely held has been that these were in essence with reference to the trefoil (dreipass) which it is said were placed in the blade to release evil which had been absorbed with the dispatch of criminals and such notion .

While considerable thought has been placed pragmatically toward these swords and their use and decoration, it seems that largely these were actually 'swords of justice' signifying that power as a bearing or sword of state. These were present among regalia and ceremonial items of various principalities, kingdoms and duchies in Europe. The actual use of these and to what degree has been debated, suggesting that by 17th century, this means of execution was not actually as widely employed as thought.
In various cases, the officials in these principalities when presiding in a formal setting would have had swords such as these in key visibility. With the Westphalian 'Vehmic courts', it is less clear how these might have been used or in place.

One such sword had these words inscribed:
"...when I raise this sword, I wish the sinner everlasting life.
The lords judge evil and I execute their judgement".
from "Tortures and Punishment"
Royal Armouries, p.19
With the Westphalian tribunals, it is unclear just how the condemned were actually dispatched, but by 'vigilante' type action or hanging most likely .
Whatever the case, the sword was a traditional vestige which conveyed the power of life and death held by these courts and their judges. The three hole symbolism was an embellishment to further dramatize these circumstances.

Some of the interesting examples have decoration and symbols such as the gallows and wheel (from 'breaking on a wheel') and various religious and judicial sorts of phrases and words. Many could be attributed to the secretive and esoteric tribunals in Germany known as the Vehdic courts or Free Judges.

This example seems quite original with the leather wrap still somewhat intact over the cord wrapped grip. It seems of the quite standard form of these swords with rebated blade, three holes near blade tip, and the gallows and other marks in latten.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 7th April 2017 at 09:33 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote