View Single Post
Old 26th February 2017, 03:00 PM   #43
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Gavin:

I'm having trouble following your last few posts where you seem to jump from one group to another in pressing your case for these swords being "Burmese" in style and concept. I have no problem accepting these were made within the geographical boundaries of "Burma." What I have argued is that the style of these is inherently Tai (Shan/Thai/Lao) with the use of lotus bud pommels and segmented scabbard decorations, usually with repoussed elements. The ethnicity of the actual craftsmen is unknown, and we can speculate but we may never know exactly where and by whom these swords were actually made.

And we have this from Dan Wilke who found the sword and purchased it for Mark (see post #6 of this thread)--the emphasis is mine:
Quote:
What I'm sure Mark is too humble to tell you is that a professor in Chiang Mai had specifically requested this sword from the dealer to use in an upcoming book he will publish on the swords of the North. He at least thought it was historically significant.
I think we have exhausted this topic for the present time but it would be good to revive it when further data become available.

Thanks for all the interesting information that you provided.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 26th February 2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added quote from Dan Wilke
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote