View Single Post
Old 24th February 2017, 03:39 PM   #33
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Gavin:

Yes, things do indeed get complicated in this area. The Shan are a very interesting group, being ethnically Tai, and are included in the same ethnographic group as the Lao (who are also Tai/Dai). The broad group of Tai in southern Yunnan, northern Thailand, Laos and eastern Burma (Shan States) comprise the major concentration of these peoples in SE Asia. The Tai and Chinese are cognate races, quite distinct from the Burmans and Kachins who are Tibeto-Burman in origin.

That we see so much intermingling of styles in northern Thailand, Laos, southern Yunnan and the neighboring Shan States is not surprising. I would say that the Shan culture, in general, is more Sinocized than the Lao, and this follows through somewhat in the styles we see on their weapons and scabbards.

While there is some overlap between the scabbards of the Shan and Lao, I see some important differences too. The Shan style uses far more metal (usually silver) wire in its execution, with rosettes and scalloped designs being quite prominent. The Lao style features more repoussed metal work on its scabbards. These different techniques are important, I think, in distinguishing the two styles. I would be the first to agree that occasional examples of "mixed" styles do exist, but given the close geographical proximity of the two groups in northern Thailand/Laos, and their common ethnographic links, that is probably not surprising.

When I went through your old pictures and Artzi's site I was careful to pick out the obvious Shan examples and did not include them.

As to what constitutes a "story dha," I don't think we need to be overly complicated. For me, the "story dha" is related solely to the blade (although that may be complemented by an accompanying scabbard that has related graphics). The blade should contain full-length metal inlaid decorations, using a "koftgari" technique, that comprise graphical elements and accompanying Burmese text relating an historical, mythical, or spiritual "story." Both sides of the blade should be treated in this manner.

This definition would exclude, for example, those sword blades with purely vegetal or animal representations, even though these may be done in the same manner as the "story dhas." Also excluded would be those blades with less than full length inscriptions, of which there are examples with a brief piece of Burmese text and a few vegetal designs.

Returning to the subject of this thread, and its relationship to what we have been discussing. I would definitely classify the sword as a "story dha." The hilt is unusual, with a face on the pommel. When we look at other "story dha," however, we see a lotus bud pommel, in various forms, some of which resemble the large flamboyant forms seen on Shan dha, and others the smaller lotus bud style on northern Thai/Lao swords.

Let me make a suggestion. The Burmese "story dha" is actually a production of the Shan craftsmen in eastern Burma, drawing on indigenous Shan and Tai/Lao traditional silver work, with the lotus bud pommel and segmented scabbard being features of those areas, along with repoussed silver work on the scabbards.

There is a precedent for the production of prestigious swords by the Shan for other ethnic groups in Burma. The last example you cite from Mark's site is a silver dha in the Shan style but which Mark labeled as Kachin. That designation was made because there are several published photographs of prominent Kachin leaders bearing just this type of sword in processions and other Kachin ceremonies (see attachment). Does that make it Kachin or is it always Shan?

As you say, this area is a Pandora's box, with so much intermingling that it is hard to know what comes from where.

Ian.

--------------Attachment----------------

Kachin formal political meeting with traditional parading with dha. The Jingphaw Times, January 19, 1951.

Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 24th February 2017 at 05:13 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote