View Single Post
Old 17th June 2005, 02:18 PM   #5
tom hyle

Very interesting. Don't get discouraged over a "fantasy" sword. This is a hand made piece and very interesting if nothing else. The decorations are forged. I see no writing; only patterns imitative of blade grooves. The lion and the human have a N/E African (Ethiopian?) look. The welded on tang is very meaningful; if the piece was made by an industrial human he was being not only consciously primitive, but knowledgeably primitive. I'd more suggest the "fine art" scene than the recreator scene, but then Europe may be a bit different (AFAIK in that the reenactors etc. are much more authentic and serious as a rule; often only allowing exact copies of specific archaeological pieces to be used, for instance.). On the other hand the tang has a modern look (well, mostly the big hole; other than that it's not real unusual). The thing has features of many blades I've seen, but in unprecedented combination, perhaps. Any imput on temper? Sharpness? The flats appear to have been ground on (or what are those lines?)? It looks like a "primitive" copy of Indo Persian work?
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote