View Single Post
Old 20th February 2006, 04:11 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Tim,
I think your assessment of this being most likely from the Congo regions is most plausible, and there seem to be a number of varities of both arrows and spears using numerous styles of 'barbing'.

This example seem extremely crudely forged and the barbs seem very rudimentary. I was looking through some various sources to check the many forms of barbed hunting and war spears and arrows, mostly Oceanic and from the Philippines to compare this example. Obviously these are typically made from varying types of wood material, so would not likely include this spear.
I noticed an interesting reference to significance of the barbs however in Kriegers' work on Philippine weapons (Smithsonian, 1926, p.45) noting that "...occurrence of multiple barbs in the iron spearheads of the Bontok Igorot insure protection against the 'anitos' or evil spirits".

In your experience do you think possibly that these seemingly rudimentary barbs on this example may have similar talismanic significance, even though it is clearly from an unrelated sphere? Although the practical purpose of the barbs on hunting, or as often seen, poisoned weapons, is clear...it seems that numeric symbolism may have some place with a weapon that as you have suggested may have ceremonial intent.

Kate,
Very intriguing specimen! It's good to see that you are studying the conservation of these most important weapons. I am always relieved when they fall into the hands of responsible individuals who will not overclean or otherwise destroy the integrity of the piece, and properly maintain it to preserve its history. Thank you!!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote