Thread: The Kingdom.
View Single Post
Old 27th August 2007, 06:24 PM   #11
Michel

Quote from Alan "Surely the naming and classification of those things we collect is at the very heart of our interest. Is it not?

Yes, of course it is. If we wish to retain the status of junior clerks forever:- classify it, give it a name, give it an origin, give it a collection number, record it, file it.

I ask you:- is that serious study of an object that is at the very heart of an entire culture?

However, if we wish to learn something about what it is that we have an interest in, if we wish to understand the nature of that which we have an interest in, then we need to extend our study into all of those areas of knowledge that can add to our knowledge of the thing in which we have an interest. If we do not wish to learn, then we might just as well collect postage stamps. Or better yet, Shrek memorabilia.

We have chosen to collect and to study an object that is perhaps the most complex cultural icon in existence. " Unquote

Alan,
I think you are bit harsh on us beginners. To reach the point "where we understand the nature of that which we have an interest in, then we need to extend our study into all of those areas of knowledge that can add to our knowledge of the thing in which we have an interest. " we need to learn the basic : the letter of this new alphabet, then the words, then understand the sentences. Once we will have reached your level of knowledge, you will not have to push us to look at the heart of the matter.
I have seen that in many other area of knowledge (from sailing a boat to climbing mountains, from leaning a language to studying a religion), until you are familiar with a certain number of words and expressions and have understood them, you cannot really approach the heart of the field you are interest in. With our classification, we are learning the alphabet (and may be a few words) of kerisology !
Thank you for your patience so far. I hope you can bear with us for a little more time because we need time.(or at least I need time! after a certain age, new words and ideas may come in your brain fast but they run out even faster !)
Take care,
Michel
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote