View Single Post
Old 7th October 2021, 09:11 AM   #15
Klop

Default Lances-continued

Dear fellow members, I'm glad I found this thread. A while ago I picked up my first european lance and started searching the internet for info, not very much there.

My example was mounted on the top section of its original shaft but broken and with a dowel and some putty and paint attached to another piece of wood. Luckily I had a nice Ash pole (from an agricultural tool) so I want to do some kind of reconstruction to close of how it should be. It will never be accurate and that's not the intention, but if I can get close with moderate effort and it looks good that's fine. For example no screws with philips heads allowed...

At first all lances looked alike but then I notice the subtle differences;
- langnets in line with the ridge, or with the cutting edges
- the "armpit" where the langnets meet the socket: straight cut or rounded
- different eyelets for the penon

Based on the pics I would say mine is the British pattern 1846.

the biggest question mark is how to attach a pennon, on what type of eyes? In one of the langnets there are extra holes that seem to be (have been) threaded, should these have the big bulbous eyelets on this model? And if so, how to attach the penon to them? I'v seen rings but also a strip with eyelets and then some thick rope through the bulbs to secure the penon. Any pics or info on this part would be highly appreciated!

By the way the point it not very sharp. It seems original but ground to the ridge you get more of a chisel than a real pointy point. With enough speed and force behind it this might be sufficient, or could be sharpened if desired. Usually bayonets are also not razorsharp. See attached pics.

Kind regards,
Eric.
Attached Images

Klop is offline   Reply With Quote