View Single Post
Old 12th November 2018, 10:37 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

David, anything is possible.

What I have given is a guess, it is not intended to be a supportable opinion.

In the blade itself I can see certain indicators that suggest North Coast.

In the hilt there is a very clear North Coast motif that is usually associated with Pekalongan.

I'd like the wrongko in hand before I said too much, but what I think I can see is that it has the profile of the Tegal - North Coast - East Jawa ladrangan style, and it appears to have pointed tips to the top (godongan, angkup), carved enhancements such as are on this wrongko, are common in wrongkos from East Jawa, Madura.

I don't think I've seen a South Sumatera wrongko with pointed tips like on this one.

Madura styles influence the North Coast, I do not know these carved enhancements in South Sumatera --- they might exist, but I have not seen them --- additionally, Chinese gentlemen are known to not be averse to moving away from traditional style if they wish, they usually are not bound to kraton dictates or family mores, they do what they wish, Pekalongan is a decidedly Chinese influenced part of Jawa.

Another thing to bear in mind is the Javanese influence in keris style on South Sumatera, especially Palembang. Palembang wilahan sometimes look exactly like Javanese wilahan, and it is impossible to know if they were made in Palembang or in Jawa.

The above is the rationale behind my guess, and it is a guess, not an opinion, I could only give an opinion in this case if I had the keris in question in my hand, I'm not good enough to do it from photos on a computer screen.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote