View Single Post
Old 9th September 2005, 11:21 AM   #12
Aqtai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Feuerbach
FYI, David Edge from the Wallace Collection is working on getting all the pieces cleaned and photographed for a book. When in London I even volunteered to help. But Red tape and politics is holding them up but at least it is in the works. He wants it to include technological info as well, but the powers that be only want a "pretty" coffee tablebook. No money for technical examination, but plenty for 6 foot blowups of patterns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I
hi ann,
although davids background has always been european arms, his has a personal passion for the oriental collection. he raised a 'chunk' of money to devote to the catalogueing and photographing of the oriental pieces, but the 'powers that be' decided to spend it on the european pieces instead. its a shame, as the original texts are still relatively accurate, and will be supplemented along with great images, whereas the Laking catalogue of the oriental side is in desperte need of re-writing, as well as images which have never existed.
one day, they will get round to doing it, but it will be some years.
david has always talked of getting a number of people to help with the descriptions, so if it can be avoided, it wont be just another coffee table book. but, there has always been red-tape involved with the wallace collection, as you say.
if they ever do find the additional funds, there are a number of people that will push for a more academic book.
That is a great pity, the Wallace Collection's Oriental Arms are long overdue for publication, I would certainly buy that book, I actually probably will buy the European Arms book if and when it's published, but I will be eagerly waiting for the "sequel".

I do own Laking's book and I know what you mean, it's just so tantalising having all these descriptions but no pictures!
Aqtai is offline   Reply With Quote