Thread: Thai Kastane
View Single Post
Old 5th April 2011, 11:00 AM   #22
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Well, John is a forum member here as well. Hope he'll chime in when online again.

However, I don't see any hint which would help to place this sword anywhere throughout the SEA archipelago: IMHO the workmanship doesn't look like Aceh/Sumatra nor Negara at all; also the blade would need to be an imported example (so no help in placing it).

I'm not positive but I also don't see a good match with Viet fittings. Any pics, Gav? The Thai crowd seems also confident that this is not from their area. Not any votes for Khmer/Lao/Burmese, too?

At the moment, I'm with Rick that S India warrants some more research. Any input from those well-versed in that area?

Regards,
Kai
Kai,

I am glad you came by.

As you are well aware, Islamic blades are found throughout Sumatra and many other SEA countries, the blade appears to be of Islamic form/style.

The hilt appears to me to be a blend of Vietnamese grip and pommel and the guard design of the Hulu meu apet. Attached is a hilt image of my Guom, note the similarities in styles. Add a Hulu meu apet guard to this grip, consider different materials used, add some stones to the mane and flowing mane along the spine of the grip and there are many more similarities than any other regional influences to my eye. Don't stop searching the southern Indian regions though ;-)
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote