Thread: Thai Kastane
View Single Post
Old 4th April 2011, 11:49 PM   #16
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Well, i don't quite see exactly where Zonneveld states "Peudeueng" as "correct". He simply states that it is another word for pedang, of which there are numerous varieties. I think you are probably right that this sword blade comes very close to Zonnefeld's classification of a "Pedang type 1", but this is a purely Western classification. It is quite possible, of course, that the Sumatran did/does not distinguish name wise between Pedang I, II, and III, but Zonnefeld then goes on to give a long list of "pedang this" and "pedang thats" which seem to imply that very specific names exist for all these very different forms of swords do exist.
I don't know that the name i suggested above is correct either, but tagging on "peusangan" or "pasangan" i believe at least describes it as a curved sword blade.

Purely as a point of reference;

Peudeueng was in the first instance correct as a type/category of this sabre in my opinion.
It offers in my opinion a Sumatran regional base for what I felt was overlooked in the first instance many years ago.

From your elaborating Sumatran sabre type, Peudeueng Peusangan is a different type (blade and hilt when compared to the subject matter in question), hence my use of the word Peudeueng as being 'correct' in my context not Zonneveld's context as you have noted, nothing more.

Zonneveld was only referenced to elaborate that Peudeueng is of this type in question.

Refer Zonneveld as the easist point of reference that has at least classifications to elaborate my initial naming and presto Peusangan leads to Pedang type 1 is of this form as you can see.

You are correct that this is westernised and that native Sumatrans now or of the day would not choose between Pedang type 1,2 or 3 and rather would have used most likely just the word Peudeueng to cover all 'types'....hence my initial naming.

Native or westernised aside, isn't it nice to able to clasify a sword type in context with the hilt which is is a major point of intrigue within the post....

The simplicity of the term Peudeueng stands in my opinion and that the sword in question is Sumatran, Zonneveld reference only used to help answer your reply and to help others identify with the complete shape of the sabre in question from tip to tip in context.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote