Thread: Abu Futila
View Single Post
Old 1st January 2017, 04:41 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Ibrahiim.

Thank you for posting those two great looking Omani matchlocks. This also gave me the opportunity to re-read your earlier Threads. I find these guns interesting in so many ways. And, I'm probably not alone in finding the barrels the most interesting aspect. With all the decoration, chiseling, and relief work, I can't imagine how long it would take to complete one barrel. I too believe in the Persian heritage vs the German. Although I have seen photos of some of the early to mid 16th Century European matchlock barrels with similar work.

It seems the Omani barrels were made on mandrels, similar to the Indian Torador barrels. With the Omani barrels made in at least two sections. While the two barrels generally look different, they both have large outside diameter breeches and muzzles. I wonder if the interior bores of the Omani barrels follow a similar design of the Torador barrels ? Would be intereswting to know.

Rick

The barrels are made up of a number of sections 3 or 4 and blistered together in rudimentary weld style...thus when they part...it must be dramatic. The other technique not generally seen in Oman was wound barrels ..twisted around a core. It is interesting that Elgood outlines the preference for pentagonal barrels from Red Sea sources for imported work for Arabia. I suppose the internal bores are different since the technique for creating the barrels is different but I will have a look at some of my own tomorrow...
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote