View Single Post
Old 10th July 2007, 04:51 AM   #142
Kiai Carita

Default The death of Arya Penangsang +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
Kiai Carita,

It is interesting. In one side, if we sell a keris that we believe it has bad influence to the owner, we will feel guilty to its buyer. Generally, between seller and buyer of keris know well each other. On the other hand, if we follow tradition to larung (throw away) it, as you said, it should be considered as destroying arecheological artefacts and littering.

What do you suggest, Kiai?

Warm salam,

Usman
Mas Usman, sorry for not yet responding to your PM, but yes, I have some other translations of macapat (read four) songs. However these are still changing, it is not easy to get the English to be able to feel close to the Jawanese.

As to selling a keris that you feel is bad without feeling bad, this can be achieved by letting the buyer know. If you can't find a buyer, you should always be able to find someone who would be happy to take it, especially in Jawa there are many people who pride themselves in being able to neutralize bad spiritual forces. In the west, a small museum might be interested. Larung in the sea is a very bad option, makes me think of Anton Lucas' "The Dog is Dead, Throw it in the River" piece about how we (Indonesians) treat our rivers. What if some child is playing on the beach and falls on the larunged keris?

The ketoprak story I remember goes: Arya Penangsang was killed by his keris, because Gagak Rimang, his stallion was in heat. Gagak Rimang reared unexpectedly giving Sutawijaya an oportunity to badly gash Penangsang's stomach till his intestines fell out. Penangsang hanged them back round his keris and continued fighting till he had Sutawijaya pinned, and forgeting that his intestines were hanging around his keris, drew his keris to stab Sutawijaya but instead severed his own intestines and died. Setan Kober killed him, but so did Sutawijaya's tombak. Was not this tombak Kiai Plered? Later I believe that Kiai Plered was used successfully again in battle, to kill a Dutch commander, making it seem that Pusaka tosan aji were also still used in battle after they had been passed down through the generations.

Nowadays, Penangsang is a hero in Blora and northen parts of Jawa, but he is a antagonist in Mataram II centres.

Mas Usman, special for you while I am here, I am sure you know this macapat song about young Jaka Tingkir, one generation back from the death of Arya Penangsang.

Sigra milir
Sang gethek sinangga bajul
Kawandasa kang njagani
Ing ngarso miwah ing pungkur
Tanepi ing kanan kering
Sang gethek lampahnya alon.

Floating so slow
My raft is pushed by crocodiles
Forty beasts surrounding me
In the front and in the rear
On my right and on my left
My raft is floating oh so slow.