View Single Post
Old 5th December 2016, 05:32 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Well José, i don't think there was ever a question that this could be a tourist piece. Certain size alone would not be an indication of that.
I believe we can find numerous smaller Bali keris about that are genuinely antique and legitimate. The smallest one i own in just under 13 inches (33cm). This one is a bit smaller at just under 12 inches. Certainly by Javanese standards that would be too large for the usual patrem. Frankly i am uncertain that patrems were even a thing in Balinese keris culture. I can't really recall actually ever seeing any. But one thing i notice that is different in the presentation of this small Bali keris from my own is the sheath size. While my 13 in. Bali blade is clothed in normal sized Bali dress Paul's example wears dress that is more proportionate to the smaller size of the blade. As an accessory of Balinese dress the sheath and hilt need to be of a certain minimum size to be appropriately wore in public. The smaller dress of Paul's keris does not allow for that style of wear so perhaps it is meant as a patrem or perhaps it was made for a small boy.
Alan, if you are tuned into this thread perhaps you have some insights to add.
David is offline   Reply With Quote